Home News Marco Huck to Challenge Alexander Povetkin on February 25th in Stuttgart

Marco Huck to Challenge Alexander Povetkin on February 25th in Stuttgart

SHARE

A very intriguing heavyweight title fight has been added to the calendar for the first part of 2012. WBO cruiserweight champion Marco Huck (34-1, 25 KOs) will challenge the WBA heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin (23-0, 16 KOs) in Stuttgart’s Porsche-Arena on February 25, 2012. Both rivals have now struck an agreement.

 

“This will be the Heavyweight Fight of the Year without a doubt,” commented Kalle Sauerland. “There will be more action in this fight than we have seen in Heavyweight World Championship fights in many years. Two real gladiators with both speed and power: Huck has proven himself as the number one Cruiserweight in the world with hands of steel; Povetkin as the most exciting Heavyweight prospect seen since a young Tyson, and who last year crushed Chagaev to realise his dream of becoming World Champion. Speaking as a boxing fan who has missed big action heavyweight championship fights – the waiting is over!! I am not sure how long the fight will last but this will be an absolute must-see!”

For Marco Huck, it is a dream come true. After Alexander Povetkin defended his title against Cedric Boswell in Helsinki on December 3, Huck announced at the subsequent press conference that he wanted to challenge Povetkin. “Afterwards, we sat down and discussed the terms, and now we have reached an agreement,” said the 27-year-old.

“I want to do what no other German has managed since Max Schmeling: I want to be heavyweight world champion. I am totally motivated and will give everything I have got to reach this goal.”

Sauerland’s General Manager Chris Meyer has welcomed the outcome of the negotiations. “I am delighted that we have been able to fulfil Marco’s dream of fighting for a world title in the heavyweight division,” he said.

“But it is going to be a very tough fight for both of them, and it cannot get much more dramatic than this – it is a real highlight.” All that is now missing to seal the WBA World Title fight is the Association’s consent. “Usually, Alexander Povetkin would now be due for a mandatory title defense, but since both fighters have agreed, we will be asking the WBA for a special permission to be made for this voluntary title defense.”

Tickets for the event in Stuttgart should go on sale from mid-January.

Comments

comments