Top Rank CEO Bob Arum insists Deontay Wilder will not be granted any money to step aside after he won his arbitration case to face WBC Heavyweight world champion, Tyson Fury in a trilogy and has revealed that a stadium in Las Vegas has been reserved for July 24.
In a dramatic twist of events on Monday, former WBC Heavyweight ruler, Wilder was awarded a third bout with Fury after retired judge Daniel Weinstein ruled in his favour for a fight to take place no later than September 15 2021, first reported by the Daily Star.
Fury appeared on the cusp of an announcement for an undisputed title showdown with unified WBA ‘Super’, WBO, IBF and IBO titlist, Anthony Joshua for August 14 in Saudi Arabia, posting a video on social media on Sunday confirming the fight was “100%” happening after a conversation with a Saudi Prince.
A showdown with Joshua now appears in jeopardy unless Wilder was to accept a huge fee to step aside.
However, the Brit’s US Promoter, Arum has confirmed that they have no intention of giving the American any money and will instead face him in the summer, with the newly-built Allegiant Stadium – home of the Las Vegas Raiders – reserved for July 24, whilst a highly-anticipated meeting with Joshua would have to wait until the winter.
“We’re not paying Wilder to step aside,” Arum told ESPN on Monday.
“It’s better to get rid of him and go about our business.
“We can make the Fury-Joshua fight for November or December.”
Monday’s decision concludes months of dispute over the status of a trilogy, dating back to when Wilder exercised his contractual right to a third fight after losing his title in seven rounds in their rematch in Las Vegas in February 2020, following a controversial draw in Los Angeles in December 2018.
The third meeting was supposed to take place no later than July, according to the contract prior to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic which postponed those plans.
A further date in October and then December were also cancelled, with the latter shelved due to a number of college games falling at the same as the proposed December 19 date.
View this post on Instagram
Fury pressed ahead for a UK homecoming, which failed to materialise, whilst his team claimed that the timeframe for a third fight had passed – Wilder’s team maintained that this was not the case and took their case to mediation, followed by binding arbitration.
Fury, 32, has now not fought since his victory over Wilder, but has relocated to the USA, linking up with trainer Sugar Hill Steward.
Wilder, 35, sacked co-trainer Mark Breland after he threw in the towel after a one-sided rematch at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and also appears to have split with Jay Deas, after naming Malik Scott as his new head coach on Instagram.
What does this mean for Anthony Joshua?
Should Joshua have to wait until the winter to face Fury, he is likely to fight in the interim against Oleksandr Usyk, having not fought since overcoming IBF mandatory challenger, Kubrat Pulev in nine rounds in December.
Former undisputed Cruiserweight champion, Usyk solidified his position as mandatory challenger to Joshua’s WBO belt with victory over Derek Chisora in October.
However, the WBO reportedly cooled their mandatory demands and ordered a fight between the Ukrainian and Joe Joyce.
View this post on Instagram
It is unclear where the lands lies after Monday’s development, however Usyk’s Promoter, Alex Krassyuk told the Daily Express on Tuesday that he was set to speak with AJ’s Promoter, Eddie Hearn.
Where would a potential winter fight between Joshua and Fury take place?
The pair had signed a two-fight deal with the first fight in Saudi Arabia, whilst a return fight could have been staged at the Principality Stadium, Cardiff, which has a roof and has hosted two Joshua fights previously.
Saudi Arabia, which staged Joshua’s rematch victory over Andy Ruiz Jr in December 2019, were reportedly prepared to pay $150m, guaranteeing both fighters $75m each.
It is unknown whether the region would offer a similar site fee if the bout was delayed.