Home Headline Lewis Crocker vs Louis Greene – Results & Post-Fight Review

Lewis Crocker vs Louis Greene – Results & Post-Fight Review

Lewis Crocker dropping Louis Greene en route to a stoppage victory. Photo Credit: Scott Rawsthorne/MTK Global
Lewis Crocker dropping Louis Greene en route to a stoppage victory. Photo Credit: Scott Rawsthorne/MTK Global

At the top of the second MTK Fight night in Wakefield, Lewis ‘The Croc’ Crocker claimed the vacant WBO European Welterweight title with a seventh round win over Louis Greene.

The first round had a quiet feel about it, but the session exploded into life in the dying seconds, as a perfectly timed Crocker left hook landed right on the button to drop Greene. 

The Kent native had to steady his legs to rise and beat the count, with the bell coming to his aid. Greene did rally in the second, but Crocker was going through the gears nicely, measuring his power shots to good effect. 

Greene had his successes in the third, landing with solid shots to the body, and he was growing in confidence as the rounds went on. 

Crocker throws with spite though, and his shots were far more hurtful that Greene’s, and this was proved halfway through the seventh, as a short right uppercut to the head followed by a wicked left to the body felled Greene for a second time. 

He bravely rose again, but his race was run, and a short right hand again put him on the canvas, and referee Michael Alexander had seen enough.

Commonwealth champion, Lee McGregor. Photo credit: thescotsman.com
Commonwealth champion, Lee McGregor. Photo credit: thescotsman.com

‘Lightning’ Lee McGregor returned to action with a dominant and high octane stoppage win over the brave Ryan Walker. 

British and Commonwealth Bantamweight champion McGregor was making a step up to Super-Bantamweight against a former Southern Area champion.

The Edinburgh man began off of a rapid jab, and quickly connected with a big right hand bang on Walker’s chin as he made an all action start. 

McGregor was making Walker wildly miss, and a volley of spiteful shots filled the second round from the Scot, although Walker bravely stood his ground and landed with sporadic success himself. 

It was close quarters stuff, and Walker was having to work hard to fend off the constant attacks of his opponent. 

The end came at the beginning of the fifth frame, as McGregor landed a huge right hand that had Walker reeling backwards and eventually to the canvas. 

Referee Phil Edwards waved off the fight during the count. Walker was upset at the decision, but in truth it saved him from certain further punishment.

“I was really confident that I was going to put in a good performance tonight” said McGregor to Alex Steedman post fight. “There was no quit in him, but he was taking some big shots. He showed he was a true fighter wanting to carry on. I was only three pounds above Bantamweight yesterday, so 100 percent the plan is to stay at Bantam”.

Fight of the night was most definitely reserved for the British and Commonwealth title eliminator at Welterweight, where Liam Taylor dropped Darren Tetley twice on the way to a thrilling points win.

Tetley started well as he put his punches together accurately in the opening round, and he got the better of the opening exchanges. 

The second round saw the tide turn though, as Taylor landed a right hand that dipped Tetley’s knees, before dropping ‘TNT’ with a wicked combination to the body. 

Tetley rose, and Taylor poured on the pressure to the body as the Yorkshireman saw out the round. It was fast becoming a shootout, with both landing hurtful shots. 

Tetley largely controlled the third, but was put down for a second time in the closing stages of the session as a Taylor right hand through the guard after a left to the body forced him to visit the canvas in a delayed manner. 

He again survived the count, and he began the next in good fashion but every time the two exchanged, Taylor seemed to hurt Tetley, especially to the body. 

Tetley was boxing well despite his troubles, and he landed a huge left that rocked Taylor at the back end of the fifth. 

The sixth was a strangely quiet affair, but hostilities were resumed in the seventh, with the action back and forth as the pair took turns to dish out punishment. 

The gripping action continued all the way to the final bell, where the mutual respect was in evidence after a cracking contest.

Michael Alexander and Phil Edwards scored the fight 96-93, while Terry O’Connor saw it 95-93 to ensure Taylor moves closer to a second crack at Chris Jenkins following their technical draw in Birmingham last November.

Gary Cully remained unbeaten as he beat Craig Woodruff.
Gary Cully remained unbeaten as he beat Craig Woodruff.

Gary Cully proved elusive to hit for the best part of five rounds against Craig Woodruff in their eight round Super Lightweight encounter. 

However, the Welshman connected with a chopping right hand in the fifth that dropped the complacent Cully. 

To his credit, the Irishman recovered to hurt Woodruff at the end of the same session, and got back on track to take a 77-75 victory on Phil Edwards’ card.

Fearghus Quinn made his professional bow in an energetic points win over six rounds against former Southern Area title challenger, Robbie Chapman. 60-54 was the verdict in an entertaining and competitive bout.

Opening the show was Belfast’s James McGivern, who made his professional debut with an assured shutout win over six rounds against the tough James Quinn at Lightweight. Referee Phil Edwards scored the contest 60-54.

Previous articleJose Ramirez vs Viktor Postol – Big Fight Preview & Predictions
Next articlePhilip Bowes vs Akeem Ennis-Brown – Big Fight Preview & Predictions