Rich Marotta, the president and CEO of the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame, announced Tuesday that Sugar Ray Leonard has confirmed his attendance at the third annual induction gala on Saturday, August 8, at Caesars Palace.
Leonard, a 1976 Olympic gold medalist, was a member of the inaugural class of NVBHOF inductees in 2013 and last year presented his one-time rival Roberto Duran for his induction.
He scored the biggest wins of his career at Caesars Palace, defeating both Thomas Hearns and Marvelous Marvin Hagler at Las Vegas’ “Home of Champions.”
Marotta said that Leonard will present the Hall’s annual Fighter of the Year award to pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr.
“I’m very excited to announce that Ray will join us for the third consecutive year and that he’s agreed to present Floyd with his Fighter of the Year honor,” Marotta said.
“Ray has long been one of the sport’s most popular figures and I know fans are going to be excited to see him again.”
Leonard, whose legendary career included world championships at welterweight, super welterweight, middleweight, super middleweight and light heavyweight, is currently serving as the boxing analyst for NBC’s broadcasts of the Premier Boxing Champions series.
Most of boxing’s greatest stars have played at Caesars, and a number of the biggest have confirmed they will attend the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame’s induction gala dinner on August 8.
In addition to Leonard and Mayweather, other superstars who are committed to attend are 2015 inductees Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Lennox Lewis, Felix Trinidad, Marco Antonio Barrera, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Roger Mayweather.