Juan Carlos Burgos, who is co-promoted by Thompson Boxing Promotions and Banner Promotions, scored the biggest win of his career last Saturday night, a 10 round decision against previously undefeated prospect Luis Cruz.
Banner Promotions president Art Pelullo said, “I congratulate Juan Carlos Burgos on his big win. It was a very important fight, a high-profile co-featured bout on the Pacquiao-Marquez card, and he rose to the occasion and gave a sensational performance. Luis Cruz was undefeated at 19-0 and ranked IBF No. 3, WBC No. 4, and WBC No. 6. A lot of people considered him the favorite to win, but they obviously underestimated Juan Carlos.
“Juan Carlos is only 23 years old, but he proved that he is a top featherweight contender last year in a very close decision loss – and a great fight – against Hozumi Hasegawa, who has been one of the most dominant world champions in recent years. On Saturday night, Juan proved it again.”
Alex Camponovo of Thompson Promotions said, “Juan Carlos did a great job. I think he opened a lot of eyes in the business, and we are on the right path to something big in the featherweight or super featherweight division. I was happy for Juan Carlos – he is a tireless worker with a great team behind him and he deserved this win more than anybody else.”
After arriving home in Tijuana on Monday, Juan Carlos said, “I never bought into the idea that I was the underdog for this fight. I went 12 hard rounds against Hasegawa last November and I was confident as I prepared for Cruz. I have vindicated myself from that loss and I know I have a lot ahead of myself, but for now I will rest and enjoy this moment with my girlfriend and family. But I will very soon be a world champion. I work very hard to achieve that dream.”
Now 28-1 with 19 knockouts, Juan Carlos is currently ranked No. 5 by the WBC at 126 pounds.