Top bantamweight contender Carlos Carlson (21-1, 12 KOs) and veteran Alex Rangel (17-5-2, 11 KOs) will fight for the vacant NABF title on Friday, Sept 23, from the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, Calif. Carlson vs. Rangel comprises the 10-round “Locked n’ Loaded” main event.
Carlson, an elite bantamweight with world ranking credentials (WBC no. 11), is determined to add another title to his impressive resume.
“Fighting for titles is what this sport is about,” said Carlson, who has previously held the WBC Latino championship. “I’m coming into this bout well prepared. Rangel is going to get a tough fight.”
In the 8-round co-feature, undefeated junior welterweight Giovani Santillan (19-0, 10 KOs) meets Brian Jones (13-6, 7 KOs). Both fighters represent different parts of Southern California, with Santillan hailing from San Diego and Jones calling Los Angeles home.
“I guess you can say bragging rights are on the line,” said Santillan, a southpaw. “I don’t really think about it. I’m just focused on delivering an excellent performance.”
“From top to bottom, it’s a talent rich card,” said Ken Thompson, president of Thompson Boxing Promotions. “Carlson is making noise in the bantamweight division, and Santillan is looking better with each fight.”
On the undercard, featherweight prospect Erick Ituarte (14-1, 2 KOs) of Santa Ana, Calif. faces Alberto Mora (5-4, 1 KO) of Cabo San Lucas, Mex. (8-rounds).
The hard-hitting lightweight Manuel Mendez (11-1, 7 KOs) of Indio, Calif. battles Erick Martinez (12-5-1, 6 KOs) of Tijuana, Mex. in a bout set for 8-rounds.
Featherweight Ruben Villa (1-0, 1 KO) of Salinas, Calif., who turned professional in July after a stellar career in the U.S. amateurs, fights Jose Mora (0-0, 1 NC) of Tijuana, Mex. (4-rounds). Villa is co-promoted by Thompson Boxing and Banner Promotions.
Opening the “Locked n’ Loaded” event are bantamweights Danny Andujo (1-0, 1 KO) and Cesar Guzman (pro debut). Both fighters are from Temecula, Calif. The fight is scheduled for 4-rounds.