Home Columns Devin Haney: Ryan Garcia will quit on April 20

Devin Haney: Ryan Garcia will quit on April 20

Haney clashes with Garcia on April 20

Devin Haney says Ryan Garcia will quit when they meet on April 20 Photo Credit: Melina Pizano/Matchroom/Tom Hogan/Golden Boy Promotions via Getty Images
Devin Haney says Ryan Garcia will quit when they meet on April 20 Photo Credit: Melina Pizano/Matchroom/Tom Hogan/Golden Boy Promotions via Getty Images

Devin Haney has predicted that Ryan Garcia will quit when they meet in their highly-anticipated world title fight in April.

Haney and Garcia have signed to fight each other on April 20 in Las Vegas live on DAZN, with a venue to be confirmed.

‘The Dream’, who will put his WBC super lightweight crown on the line against his compatriot, reckons the 25-year-old will withdraw from battle before the final bell and alluded to his seventh round knockout defeat to Gervonta Davis last April, which saw the Californian fail to beat the count from a body shot and suffer a first professional defeat.

“We’ve seen Ryan quit before,” Haney told DAZN.

“I think this won’t be anything different.

Haney will put his WBC super lightweight title on the line against Garcia Photo Credit: Ed Mulholland/Matchroom
Haney will put his WBC super lightweight title on the line against Garcia Photo Credit: Ed Mulholland/Matchroom

“I think once you have that quit in you, it’s the start of you, you know how to do it.

“I think he’ll quit on April 20th.”

Garcia was knocked out by Davis in seven rounds in April Photo Credit: Esther Lin/SHOWTIME
Garcia was knocked out by Davis in seven rounds in April Photo Credit: Esther Lin/SHOWTIME

Haney and Garcia will fight for the seventh time and for the first time as professionals, after six meetings in the amateurs, which see the pair level at three wins a piece.

The rivals almost came to blows last week when they traded words in front of assembled media during an event to promote Sunday’s Super Bowl event in Las Vegas.

Haney, the former undisputed lightweight champion, became a two-time world champion in December ripping away the WBC belt he defends against Garcia with a dominant unanimous decision win over Regis Prograis to extend his record to 31 straight professional victories.

“It’s going to catapult me,” the 25-year-old replied when asked what a win over Garcia would do for his career.

“It’s going to prove that I am the new face of boxing.

“I am the man and I am a huge draw.

Haney and Garcia fought six times in the amateurs
Haney and Garcia fought six times in the amateurs

“It’s been a long time coming.

“We’re 3-3 in the amateurs and this is number seven.

“This is time to seal the deal. To prove who’s the better man, who’s gotten better since the amateurs, who’s developed into the pros better and it’s time for me to show the world how great I really am.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Ryan Garcia (@kingryan)

Garcia seemed on the verge of agreeing a deal with Haney earlier this year, but veered his attentions to WBA champion, Rolly Romero following a conversation with Romero’s promoter, Floyd Mayweather Jr.

However, when ‘Rolly’ opted to face Isaac Cruz on March 30, ‘King Ry’ reverted back to a long-awaited showdown with ‘The Dream’.