Robert Helenius believes he would knock out Tyson Fury, as he plots a heavyweight world title shot.
Helenius stopped Adam Kownacki for a second time with a brutal performance on the undercard of Fury’s sensational trilogy victory over Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas in October, which saw him retain his WBC heavyweight world title.
Fury was ordered to face mandatory challenger, Dillian Whyte and a purse bid is due on Tuesday, should the sides fail to reach a deal.
The Brit’s US promoter, Bob Arum named Helenius as an alternative option for a UK homecoming in March as well as Andy Ruiz Jr in the US during an interview with IFLTV last month and the 38-year-old Finland native insists he would halt ’The Gypsy King’, who is undefeated in 32 fights.
“I have heard my name mentioned by Bob Arum and others of possibly fighting Fury in March,” Helenius told Sky Sports.
“Of course, I feel I would beat Fury
“He looked great against Deontay Wilder, but he would find a much less favourable style against me.
“I would knock Fury out.
“He is an easier style for me than Usyk for sure.”
Victory for ‘The Nordic Nightmare’ cemented his lofty ranking with the WBA, behind ‘super’ champion, Oleksandr Usyk who dethroned Anthony Joshua in September to become unified titlist, whilst Trevor Bryan holds the ‘regular’ belt.
Joshua and Usyk are set for a rematch, likely to be staged in April according to Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn.
Helenius’ priority is to secure a WBA title shot and has revealed that his team have written to the governing body to become mandatory challenger.
“Right now we are waiting for a formal response from the WBA, this is my first priority,” Helenius said.
“My lawyer has notified WBA in writing, I’ve paid sanctioning fees, and there is no more deserving contender to fight Usyk in the WBA than me.
“I fully expect to be officially named mandatory.
“I’ve earned it and I will fight outside the ring as hard as I fight inside the ring for my opportunity.”