Jake Paul will fight for the fourth time as a professional with the controversial YouTube star-turned boxer taking on Tyron Woodley over eight rounds at cruiserweight in Ohio on Sunday night.
Paul, who has amassed over 20m subscribers on YouTube has won his first three fights by stoppage, whilst former UFC welterweight champion, Woodley makes his professional debut.
‘The Problem Child’ stopped fellow social media sensation AnEsonGib on debut in January 2020, before halting former NBA star, Nate Robinson in two rounds on the undercard of Mike Tyson’s exhibition with Roy Jones Jr in November.
The 24-year-old, who has based himself out in Puerto Rico with trainer BJ Flores knocked out former UFC fighter Ben Askren in the opening round of a headline bout on Triller in April and then signed a multi-fight deal with US broadcaster, SHOWTIME and fights in his hometown for the first time.
Paul has had mixed acceptance from the boxing world, with some fighters and promoters praising the Ohio man for bringing a new audience to the sport, although he has clashed with the likes of Canelo Alvarez and Gervonta Davis on social media, as well as with Tommy Fury, brother of WBC heavyweight champion, Tyson Fury who will be on the undercard ahead of a potential fight between the pair.
Woodley, who has spent some time training with Floyd Mayweather Jr in the build-up, defended his UFC championship four times during a stellar career, but was on a run of four consecutive defeats prior to his contract with the UFC expiring in April.
The 39-year-old was in the corner of Askren during his defeat to Paul.
The pair met at a press conference in Los Angeles last month and Woodley agreed to a bet suggested by Paul that the loser gets a tattoo of the victor’s name.
Paul vs Woodley – Date and Venue
- Paul and Woodley will clash on Sunday 29 August at the Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
Paul vs Woodley – How To Watch It
- The fight card will be broadcast on SHOWTIME pay-per-view in the USA for $59.99, whilst it will be shown internationally for a price not specified.
- The fight card will be shown on BT Sport Box Office in the UK for £16.95 and in Ireland for $29.99.
Paul vs Woodley – Start Time
- Coverage of the event will begin from 8pm ET in the USA and in the UK from 1am BST.
- Paul and Woodley are expected to ring walk from 10.30pm ET in the USA and in the UK from 3.30am BST at the earliest.
- Amanda Serrano vs Yamileth Mercado – WBC, WBO, IBO featherweight world titles (10 rounds)
- Daniel Dubois vs Joe Cusumano – heavyweight (10 rounds)
- Tommy Fury vs Anthony Taylor – cruiserweight (6 rounds)
- Charles Conwell vs Juan Carlos Rubio – super welterweight (10 rounds)
- Montana Love vs Ivan Baranchyk – welterweight (10 rounds)
What Has Been Said?
“You’ve never been in a fight like this,” Paul said in the first press conference in July.
“You know the whole MMA community is counting on you to knock me out. You’ve never been in a fight of this scale.
“What happens when you lose to Jake Paul? You’re going to be the laughing stock of the internet.
“This is my toughest fight by far and that’s exactly what I want. I want to increase the skill level of my opposition and challenge myself.
“He was a legitimate knockout artist. But on August 29, in my hometown, you will see a boxing clinic. He’s not going more than three rounds.”
“Look at my resume,” Woodley said at the first press conference in July.
“Look at all the up and coming fighters who they gassed up and what happened to them. None of them landed a punch.
“So many people come up to me on a daily basis and say you have to knock this guy out.
“This is going to look like a fight. I’m not just going to go out there and swing two punches. I’m training like I’m fighting Mike Tyson.
“I didn’t get into this for a quick payday. This is my entry into boxing for sure. It’s a steppingstone.
“When I look at him, I see a kid who has nothing to lose. I’m not going to act like he doesn’t have power, but everyone I’ve faced who had power, made me train even harder.”