Joe Joyce and Carlos Takam collide in an eagerly-anticipated Heavyweight showdown this Saturday night.
Joyce (12-0, 11 KOs) puts his unbeaten record on the line against veteran, former world title challenger, Takam (39-5-1, 28 KOs) in Wembley with the Brit’s WBC Silver and WBO International titles at stake.
The ‘Juggernaut’ secured a standout stoppage victory over domestic rival Daniel Dubois in November to become British, Commonwealth and European champion and put himself on the brink of a world title shot with a ranking of two with the WBO.
The 2016 Olympic Silver medalist appeared set for a meeting with former amateur rival and number one contender, Oleksandr Usyk after the WBO ordered the pair to face off for the interim Heavyweight crown, with unified WBA ‘Super’, WBO and IBF champion, Anthony Joshua and WBC titlist, Tyson Fury seemingly on the verge of clashing for the undisputed title.
However, when a proposed bout between Joshua and Fury collapsed after an arbitrator ordered the ‘Gypsy King’ to face Deontay Wilder for a third time, the governing body reordered ‘AJ’ to make a mandatory defence of his belt against Usyk, thus leaving Joyce without an opponent.
In stepped a former Joshua foe in Takam, a familiar name in the UK having also fought Derek Chisora, which was his last defeat.
The 40-year-old has won four on the bounce since, claiming a unanimous decision victory over Jerry Forrest in Las Vegas in his last outing in July 2020.
Joyce vs Takam – Date and Venue
- Joyce and Takam clash on Saturday 24 June at the SSE Arena, Wembley, UK.
Joyce vs Takam – How To Watch It
- The fight card will be broadcast on BT Sport 1 HD and BT Sport Ultimate in the UK and Ireland.
- The fight will be broadcast on FITE TV in the USA.
Joyce vs Takam – Start Time
- Coverage starts at 7.15pm on Saturday night with Joyce and Takam set to ring walk between 10.30pm and 10.45pm – subject to change.
Last Three Fights
- Joe Joyce bt Daniel Dubois – 10th round KO
- Joe Joyce bt Michael Wallisch – 3rd round TKO
- Joe Joyce bt Bryant Jennings – UD
- Carlos Takam bt Jerry Forrest – UD
- Carlos Takam bt Fabio Maldonado – UD
- Carlos Takam bt Craig Lewis – UD
- Chris Jenkins vs Ekow Essuman – British and Commonwealth Welterweight titles
- Hamzah Sheeraz vs Ezequiel Gurria – WBO European Super Welterweight title
- Chris Bourke vs James Beech Jr – WBC International Super Bantamweight title
🚨 FIGHT WEEK IS HERE 🚨
👊 Joyce v Takam
👊 Jenkins v Essuman
👊 Sheeraz v Gurria
👊 Bourke v Beech Jr
➕ Adeleye, Frankham, Fox, Soczynski
— Frank Warren (@frankwarren_tv) July 19, 2021
- David Adeleye vs Mladen Manev – Heavyweight
- Micky Burke vs Paul Cummings – Welterweight
- Sam Noakes vs Michael Isaac Carrero – Lightweight
- Charles Frankham vs Dean Jones – Super Featherweight
- George Fox vs Reece Barlow – Heavyweight
- Michal Soczynski vs Matt Sen – Cruiserweight
What Has Been Said?
“It’s going to be a tough one, but I think I can get the job done. I am here, ready and waiting,” Joyce said.
“I’m definitely going to try and knock out Takam. I think I will find a way sooner or later to get to him.
“Carlos is perhaps the best I have fought. He is always in shape, he is strong, he is durable and you know he can do the rounds.
“He is a problem I will have to deal with on the night and I will.”
“It’s going to be a big test for Joe Joyce,” Takam told Pro Boxing Fans.
“For me it’s not a test, because I’ve fought other people like [Alexander] Povetkin, [Anthony] Joshua, I’ve fought a lot of big names.
“So, for me it’s just to prove for my UK fans that I’m back and I’m a problem in that division.
“Joe Joyce has never fought somebody like me. I have experience, I move everywhere in the ring, I don’t go straight to my opponent.”