Caleb Plant admits he is keen to face Canelo Alvarez in a rematch, ahead of his return to action next month.
Plant fights for the first time since suffering a first professional defeat to Canelo last November, when he faces Anthony Dirrell on October 15 at Barclays Center, Brooklyn, live on FOX Sports pay-per-view.
The 30-year-old was stopped in the 11th round, as Alvarez claimed the undisputed super middleweight crown.
However, ’Sweethands’ says the Mexican great, who beat Gennady Golovkin on points in their trilogy clash earlier this month, remains his number one target.
“I think regardless of the Triple G fight,” Plant told FightHype.com.
“Just the experience that I gained. That wasn’t my best camp going into that fight.
“But regardless that wasn’t the reason why I lost. I lost because I got caught with a big shot and I got stopped, so I’m not here to make excuses.
“But that’s a fight that I want.
“I want a rematch with Canelo and if I have to pick off every top super middleweight in the division to get to that, that’s what I’m going to do.”
Plant makes his return on the undercard of Deontay Wilder’s showdown against Robert Helenius, the first time ‘The Bronze Bomber’ has fought since losing to Tyson Fury in an epic third encounter last October.
The Tennessee native has long been linked with clashes with both WBC Interim super middleweight champion, David Benavidez and WBC middleweight titlist, Jermall Charlo and says he is open to both fights in the future, but insists his focus is on Dirrell.
“Right now I’m focused on the 15th [October against Dirrell],” Plant said.
View this post on Instagram
“That’s the only fight that I want. That’s the only fight I’m focused on, but after that I’m looking to step forward to make the biggest fights that can be made in the super middleweight division.
“Whether that’s Charlo or Benavidez.”