Errol Spence Jr has backed former rival Kell Brook to defeat Conor Benn, after the British pair became embroiled in a social media war of words.
Benn and Brook were rumoured to meet prior to the latter’s retirement after finally settling his grudge with Amir Khan last February.
However, their rivalry appears to have reignited after footage emerged of the Sheffield man training in the Ingle Gym.
‘The Destroyer’ replied to a suggestion from @EverythingBoxi2 on a possible meeting with Brook bringing up a previous sparring session.
“Last time we tried to make the fight he chose retirement instead. Must have been that sparring session,” the 26-year-old wrote.
View this post on Instagram
‘The Special One’, who turns 37-years-old in May, hit back: “Who are you kidding your the one who cut the sparring short don’t flatter yourself p****.”
Benn replied: “Stop talking s***. You know the footage begs to differ!”
who are you kidding your the one who cut the sparring short don’t flatter yourself pussy. https://t.co/drOuMqbD56
— Kell Brook (@SpecialKBrook) March 13, 2023
Stop talking shit. You know the footage begs to differ! 😮💨 https://t.co/yAVBZhOLnk
— Conor Nigel Benn (@ConorNigel) March 14, 2023
put it out then let’s see it and don’t just put snippets on we won’t it all babi https://t.co/HfZkVjtm6e
— Kell Brook (@SpecialKBrook) March 14, 2023
Kell Beat that wanker ass lol. 💉 https://t.co/da2jifP0Tq
— Errol Spence (@ErrolSpenceJr) March 14, 2023
Brook then dared his unbeaten welterweight rival to post the footage publicly: “Put it out then let’s see it and don’t just put snippets on we won’t it all babi.”
Benn is set to make his return this summer after the WBC announced that he will be reinstated into the WBC rankings following a ruling from the governing body that his failed drugs tests, which saw a planned clash with Chris Eubank Jr scrapped, were due to a “highly-elevated consumption of eggs” which was deemed a “reasonable explanation for the adverse finding,” a claim Benn disputes.
The Ilford man’s promoter, Eddie Hearn told reporters last week that his return bout will take place in either the USA or Middle East, with eight-division champion, Manny Pacquiao an option.
Prior to being reinstated by the WBC, Benn, who has always maintained his innocence, was involved in a back-and-forth with unified welterweight king, Spence Jr and even said he would be willing to take on the Texan next.
Benn tweeted on February 23: “@ErrolSpenceJr you been talking to the most…and Well I am reinstated in the WBC. I’ll have you next! You worry about handling your drink driving convictions. W*****.”
The 33-year-old responded by saying: “drinks & ped two different things difference me & you I owned up to my shit you a cheat just like yo daddy.”
drinks & ped two different things 😂 difference me & you I owned up to my shit you a cheat just like yo daddy 😂 https://t.co/1rynPWHKYa
— Errol Spence (@ErrolSpenceJr) February 23, 2023
Spence is reportedly in talks to face long-time rival Keith Thurman next and ‘The Truth’, who captured the IBF crown from Brook in 2017, gave his support to his old foe after chiming in on his online altercation with Benn.
He tweeted: “Kell Beat that w***** a** lol.”
Benn is without a British licence after relinquishing it last year following a dispute with the board and remains under investigation by UK Anti-Doping [UKAD], whom he passed all tests for in the lead-up to the cancelled Eubank Jr bout.