Zeuge confident of overcoming toughest challenge against Gutknecht
Tyron Zeuge (17-0, 10 KOs) is confident of overcoming what he describes as the toughest challenge of his fledgling career when he takes on domestic rival Eduard Gutknecht (28-3-1, 11 KOs) for the IBF International and WBO Intercontinental Super Middleweight titles on November 21 at the TUI Arena in Hannover, Germany.
The 23 year-old talent, who is coming off the back of a convincing points victory over Nikola Sjekloca in April, aims to move closer to a World title opportunity by beating the former European Light Heavyweight Champion.
‘’This will be the toughest challenge of my career so far,’’ confirms the Berlin-boxer. ‘’Gutknecht has been involved in many big fights against good opposition, so in terms of experience he is clearly ahead of me.
‘’But I’m confident in my own ability. Anyone who has seen me fight will know what I can do and where my strengths lie. I believe I have the better overall package and that will be the deciding factor in this fight.
‘’It has always been my goal to fight for World titles, and this will be another big step forward for me. After my performance against Sjekloca, many people said I was ready, but I leave that decision with my trainer and promoter. I know my time will come and when it does I will be ready!’’
In the opposing corner is a man who has already challenged for World honours. In 2010, Gutknecht went the distance with former WBO 168 lbs titlist Robert Stieglitz before moving up to light heavyweight. Now, back down to his original weight and with experience on his side, the fighter from Gifhorn is confident he can derail Zeuge’s promising career and renew his own World title ambitions.
‘’I think this fight has come too early for Zeuge,’’ said the 33 year-old. ‘’I’ve seen and experienced a lot in my career, whereas he is young and relatively inexperienced.
‘’I hold every advantage. I’m back at my best weight and I’m feeling stronger than ever, plus Hannover is within striking distance of my hometown Gifhorn so I will have the home support pushing me forward. This is a fight I can’t lose, and after I beat Zeuge, I want another shot at the World title.’’
Paul Butler Returns Dec 19th
Ellesmere Port ace Paul Butler will face FSilvio Olteanu on Saturday December 19th at the Manchester Arena in a crucial must-win fight as he lines up a world title shot next year.
Former World Champion Butler features on Frank Warren’s title-packed X-Mas show headlined by the crunch fight between WBO World Middleweight Champion Andy Lee and Billy Joe Saunders, and Liam Smith’s first WBO World Super-Welterweight title defence.
Butler, who previously held the IBF World Bantamweight title, is still focussed on winning a second world title in a lighter weight division even though he came up short in his attempt at IBF king Zolani Tete in March when he was stopped in eight rounds.
Since then, he’s smashed his way back with a win over Gustavo Molina in five rounds in July and then destroyed Hector Rolando Gusman last month with one devastating left to the body in the first round.
A potential blockbuster against Irish rival Jamie Conlan, the current WBO Intercontinental Champion, could happen next year and Butler aims to despatch of Olteanu to remain on track.
“This is my first title fight since the Tete fight and I’m desperate to get a belt around my waist again,” Said Butler.
“I’ve proved that the Tete fight wouldn’t dent my confidence and I believe I’ve improved and come back stronger from it as you’ve seen in my last two fights,”
“Now I’m in facing a tougher test against a good former European Champion in Olteanu who will make me raise my game and maybe give me a harder test. He’s never been stopped and I’m looking to be the first,”
“He can bring what he likes to the ring, I’m focussed on what I’ve got to do and that’s to destroy him and get him out of the way so I can move on in my career and get that second world title,”
“That could lead to Conlan next year which is a belter of a fight that I’m confident I’d win, but right now I’m dealing with Olteanu and getting the important win.”
Olteanu, who is Hungarian born and fights out of Madrid, has held the European Super-Flyweight title twice and has lost on points in a WBA World title challenge in 2010. He’s never been stopped in 24 fights and fighting in England won’t faze him as he’s fought around the world.
“I will show this little kid what is to fight with a man. He has been protected fighting in his backyard all his career,” Stormed Olteanu.
If you want to became the best, you have to visit the home of your opponent. I have fought several times in France, Japan, Mexico, Italy only losing for the World title in Japan by split decision and in Mexico by majority decision twice and everybody knows what that means,”
“I have fought five times for the European title losing only once on points, so I have proved already that I am the best in Europe”
“I have never ever been stopped and I have fought already ten titles bouts, so lets see if Butler is able to beat me.”
Lloyd Ellett promises to bounce back from first career defeat on December 4
Following his shock defeat to Ryan Toms (14-11-2) on October 2nd, Brighton boxer, Lloyd Ellett (17-1) is looking to bounce back on December 4th at the Camden Centre in London on a Hellraiser Promotions show.
Tasting his first defeat in 18 fights and four years as a pro, the ‘Lightning Bolt’ is looking to get back to winning ways on the first weekend of the festive period.
Former two-time Southern Area champion, Toms upset the odds in Brighton on the opening weekend of October, stopping Ellett in the sixth round of their eight-round scheduled bout at the Metropole Hotel on a Crusader Events show headed by former World title challenger, Scott Welch.
Although leading on the scorecards, the 33-year-old travelling opponent from Middlesex caused the home fighter many problems with his southpaw stance, culminating in landing a big left hand early on in the sixth round, crashing his counterpart to the canvas. Struggling to survive, referee Lee Cook rightfully waved the fight off at 2:48, silencing the biased crowd.
The Queensberry Promotions prospect said, “I just wanna’ get straight back in the ring and erase that memory, it was a horrible feeling because I’ve never lost before, but I feel like I’ve made a few changes and addressed a couple of issues and it’s just made me hungrier than ever, and I’m still heading to where I believe I’m going.”
Despite the minor setback, Ellett is still on track to challenge for major honours next year, beginning with his first fight back from defeat in the festive period, which will provide just his third outing of the year.
The 28-year-old is trained by Eddie Lamm and Alan Smith at the talent-laden iBox Gym in Bromley, Kent, also home to WBO European champions Bradley Skeete and Lewis Pettitt, as well as Southern Area welterweight title-holder Johnny Garton.
A former Haringey Box Cup winner, he enjoyed a busy campaign, winning all 16 of his fights in his first three years punching for pay, signed to London promoter Mickey Helliet.
The Lightning Bolt’s first fight in front of the Box Nation cameras was in March this year at the York Hall in London, earning a hard-fought points win against a far heavier opponent in Latvian Raimonds Sniedze, to move up to an impressive 17-0 record.
“Just being active will make a big difference,” said the Sussex man. “I’ve only just fought so I’m still sharp from the training, I probably overdid the training last time because I was in the gym for so long in between fights.”
Ellett is never short of sparring opportunities with Southern Area super-middleweight champion, Darryl Williams and Prizefighter light-middleweight winner, Larry Ekundayo in his Kent-based gym, as well as mixing it regularly with fellow Sussex boxer, Chris Eubank Jr. in his coastal hometown.
“I had a week off after the fight whereas before that I’d only had one week off in eight months, I’m working on technical sides rather than killing myself out on the roads and sparring all the time.
“I’ve had that kind of pressure for a long time being unbeaten, headlining in Brighton, selling all the tickets, it’s all experience later down the line when the pressure really is on for the big fights,” said the 154-pounder.
Ellett has headlined the Brighton shows four times so far in his four year professional boxing career and plans to kick off 2016 as the main event once again, “I’m definitely going to be on in February in Brighton again,” he confirmed.
Lubin Back on Nov 28th
Undefeated rising star Erickson “The Hammer” Lubin (12-0, 9 KOs) will put his undefeated record on the line when he takes on Alexis Camacho (21-5, 19 KOs) in a 10-round super welterweight bout on Saturday, November 28 as part of Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) on NBC from the Bomb Factory in Dallas.
PBC on NBC coverage begins at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT and is headlined by super welterweight world champion Jermall Charlo (22-0, 17 KOs) as he faces “Silky” Wilky Campfort (21-1, 12 KOs). Also featured is Dallas-native and 2012 Olympian Errol “The Truth” Spence Jr. (18-0, 15 KOs) as he squares off against Mexico’s Alejandro “El Elegido” Barrera (28-2, 18 KOs) in a 12-round contest.
With the addition of Lubin, PBC on NBC features three of the brightest young stars in the sport, along with Charlo and Spence Jr., as they look to remain undefeated on their way to making an even bigger impact in 2016.
A highly-regarded prospect with an exciting style, the 20-year-old Lubin has burst onto the scene looking to engage and finish opponents early. He blew out Ayi Bruce and previously unbeaten Kenneth Council with first round knockouts and outclassed experienced veterans Michael Finney and Norberto Gonzalez, all since November 2014. In his last fight, near his hometown of Orlando, Lubin dominated veteran Orlando Lora before forcing his corner to stop the fight in round six.
Born in Monterrey, Mexico but fighting out of Austin, Texas, Camacho looks to make it three straight victories on November 28. In his last two contests, the 34-year-old took down Alan Casillas and Oscar Solis. Prior to earning a decision in his last bout, 18 of Camacho’s 20 victories had come inside of the distance.
Langford also on Lee-Saunders undercard
Unbeaten Bideford-born boxer, Tommy Langford (14-0) received confirmation of his next fight booked on the bumper bill of boxing on December 19th in Manchester, live on BoxNation TV.
Heading into his 15th fight, the WBO Inter-Continental middleweight champion will defend his maiden title for a second time against a challenger yet to be announced.
The Birmingham-based ace stated, “It’s great to be on the show. It’ll be another defence of my title but I’m hoping to fight for another belt.”
In the main event, it’ll be third time lucky when WBO World middleweight champion Andy Lee (34-2-1) finally puts his world title on the line against rival Billy Joe Saunders (22-0) in the highly-anticipated showdown that has twice been cancelled.
Originally set for September in Limerick, Langford was booked as chief support on the history-making show that will see two travellers fighting for a World title for the first time before the date was scrapped when titleholder, Lee fell ill.
Rescheduled for October 10th, it was then the challenger’s turn to scupper the show, announcing that he had picked up a cut in training.
In the meantime, Langford headlined his own show on October 3rd at the familiar venue of the Wolves Civic, successfully defending his newly-attained WBO Inter-Continental middleweight title over 10 rounds.
Taken past round six for the first time in his career, the 26-year-old defeated Argentinian national champion Christian Fabian Rios (20-7-3) on points by the widest of margins with two judges scoring the contest at 100-90 in the Brit’s favour and the third official ruling at 100-91, live on BoxNation TV.
The result meant that not only is the 160-pounder’s perfect record still intact but also his worthy feat of never conceding a round in over three years and 14 fights in the paid ranks.
A worthy contender, the 32-year-old challenger can still claim to have never been stopped in 30 fights and over seven years as a pro. The South American southpaw once held Matthew Macklin’s conqueror and current WBC International middleweight champion, Jorge Sebastian Heiland to a draw in 2012.
Langford, a six-foot-tall middleweight from Weoley Castle in Birmingham has seen his position elevated to the top five in the British and WBO rankings, nudging him closer to Andy Lee’s WBO World title.
“That’s the ultimate goal to what I’m heading for and it’s realistic that I could be mandatory in 12 months for the WBO Word title, especially if Billy Joe Saunders wins it,” he hoped.
“Titles-wise, I’m not chasing anybody, I’ve got my own path now but it’d be nice to pick up a few belts on the way to that WBO World title.
“I’m a young 26-year-old, not been in any hard fights and never lost a round so I’ve not had any toe-to-toe, grafting wars, so I’m fresh.”
Langford was born in Bideford in North Devon but left the scenic area for Birmingham to train with Frankie Gavin and top trainer Tom Chaney, as a young teenager.
The Hall Green Boxing Club student started the year with a record of 11 wins and two TKO’s, the best scalp on his record coming in the form of a second round stoppage of Brighton southpaw Nicky Jenman.
Fast-forward 10 months and the record stands at 14 wins with four stoppages, an Inter-Continental strap, an impressive top 5 British and world ranking, and the experience of headlining a show.
“It was always the sort of plan at the start of the year to get a 10-round fight in and to pick up a belt, but the fashion in which I’ve done it has been pretty strange for me because I never really had that praise before so to have it now is quite nice,” he humbly stated.
“It means that people are really valuing me and rating me as a contender and that’s what I’ve wanted for a long time,” he continued.
“I’m red hot now and just got to keep the momentum going.”