WBA ‘regular’ heavyweight champion, Trevor Bryan appears to have accepted a call out from Daniel Dubois.
Dubois (17-1, 16 KOs), the WBA interim champion and number one contender is in line for a shot at undefeated American, Bryan (22-0, 15 KOs), who successfully defended his belt with a split decision win over Jonathan Guidry on Saturday night.
Chris McKenna of the Daily Star reported that the WBA have ordered the pair to fight within 180 days, with Dubois’ promoter, Frank Warren confirming to IFLTV that they would go to purse bids if a deal cannot be reached with Bryan’s promoter, Don King.
“Congratulations Trevor Bryan, but you are in my way,” Dubois said on Instagram.
“Indeed we will little homie,” Bryan responded.
“Cause as I said my campaign overseas will be starting very soon!”
Dubois, 24, bounced back from a sole November 2020 defeat to Joe Joyce with two victories last year over Bogdan Dinu in two rounds and Joe Cusumano inside the opening round of his USA debut in August.
Bryan, 32, has had two fights in just under three-and-a-half years, with his win over Guidry marking the first defence of the title he won with an 11th round stoppage over Bermane Stiverne a year prior.
“I see myself beating him, that’s what we train to do,” Dubois told the Unibet Lowdown.
“Definitely [I can knock him out], everyone knows I only fight one way.”
The winner would edge closer to a shot at the full title held by unified heavyweight champion, Oleksandr Usyk, who is set to rematch Anthony Joshua later this year, following the collapse of talks for Joshua to step aside to enable Usyk to meet WBC titlist, Tyson Fury.
View this post on Instagram
Fury will now face mandatory challenger, Dillian Whyte in the UK in April after Warren won Friday’s purse bid with a record $41m bid, with full details to be announced at a press conference next week.