Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin will finally come head to head in a much anticipated rematch on September 15, according to the Mexican’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya.
Golovkin (38-0-1-KO34) and Alvarez (49-1-2-KO34) produced a controversial draw in their first meeting on September 16. Moreover, there was much debate after the fight that GGG should have won the fight, with many favouring the work of the undefeated Kazakh.
An agreement has been reached
Golovkin is expected to make $40 million for the rematch with Canelo. In their fight last year in September, Canelo was given 65 percent of the revenue for the fight, whereas GGG only received 35 percent. Furthermore, despite the fact that he was the IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion.
Both fighters were originally scheduled to fight in a much-anticipated rematch for the WBA, WBC and IBF middleweight titles on May 5. However, Alvarez was forced to withdrew from the fight in the wake of a failed drug test.
‘Canelo’ tested positive for decongestant Clenbuterol, which his promoter Golden Boy Promotions blamed on contaminated meat. The Mexican was suspended for six months by the Nevada Athletic Commission back in April this year.
Golden Boy reportedly issued Golovkin a final offer of a 57.5-42.5 per cent split in favour of Alvarez. An agreement appears to have finally been reached between the two camps. The Mexican promoter De La Hoya announced the rematch on social media on Wednesday night.
He said: “I’m happy to inform that we have a fight September 15!!!! #CaneloGGG2,” wrote the former six-weight world champion.
Moreover, Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler said to latimes.com about Golden Boy president Eric Gomez. “Purse percentage was a main factor.” “He came back with a solution that satisfied both sides,”
Lets not make no mistake this will be a huge fight! – who will come out victorious this time round? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.