Terence Crawford insists he is now open to a catchweight showdown with Canelo Álvarez after initially dismissing the prospect of a future fight.
Despite three weight classes currently separating the pair, there were calls on social media for Crawford and Canelo to meet following the former’s sensational stoppage victory over Errol Spence Jr last month, in which he captured the undisputed welterweight crown.
The 35-year-old initially shut down the possibility of a meeting with the Mexican great, who holds the undisputed super middleweight crown, during an interview with TMZ Sports.
“No not at all,” he replied when asked if he was interested in fighting Alvarez.
“Like I said before, I’ve had that question many times before. I stated it then and I’ll state it now.
“Canelo is two, three, even four weight classes above me, depending on which fight you’re talking about.
“So, to be honest, Canelo doesn’t really interest me because of the size factor.”
However, the Omaha native has now had a change of heart and revealed that he would be open to a clash no higher than 160lbs, a weight Alvarez has not competed at in over four years.
The 33-year-old will defend his belts against current undisputed super welterweight champion, Jermell Charlo on September 30 in Las Vegas.
The pair are set to come face-to-face for the first time at press conferences in New York and Los Angeles this week to promote the bout.
“You know, we can do something at a catchweight,” he told The Breakfast Club.
“Probably like 160 or something, 158. That’d be cool.”
Crawford, who became the only man in history to secure all four world titles in two weight classes, could face Spence in a rematch later this year, with the Texan indicating in the post-fight press conference that he would exercise his contractual right to a second fight.
‘Bud’ could then pursue a showdown with the aforementioned Charlo, who said on social media earlier this week that he is keen to face his compatriot following his clash with Canelo.