Home Breaking Wilder says he has agreed to fight Anthony Joshua next in the...

Wilder says he has agreed to fight Anthony Joshua next in the UK

SHARE
Deontay Wilder says he is willing to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK next. Photo Credit: Sky Sports
Deontay Wilder says he is willing to fight Anthony Joshua in the UK next. Photo Credit: Sky Sports

WBC champion Deontay Wilder took to social media on Monday night to announce to fans that he had agreed to travel to the UK to challenge WBA (Super), WBO and IBF title-holder Anthony Joshua to become the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Wilder, who offered Joshua $50m to take the fight in the USA, says that offer is still on the table.

He tweeted: “BREAKING NEWS for all you Anthony Joshua fans… The $50m offer for him to fight me next in the US is still available. Today I even agreed to their offer to fight Joshua next in the UK. If he prefers the fight in the UK, the ball is in their court. It’s up to them to choose.”

Wilder is happy to fight Joshua in the UK. Photo Credit: Telegraph
Wilder is happy to fight Joshua in the UK. Photo Credit: Telegraph

The unified world heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder appears to have agreed a deal to become the undisputed king. WBA Super, IBF, IBO and WBO champion Anthony Joshua and his team, who is earmarked to return in the autumn, potentially on September 29 at Wembley Stadium in London, have reportedly offered the WBC titlist a two-fight deal, with the first being in the UK.

 

Shelly Finkel, Wilder’s co-manager, has said that the offer has been accepted and that a contract being sent from one side to the other is the next step. ESPN’s Dan Rafael was the first man to reveal the news.

“We have agreed to the terms that Eddie (Hearn, Joshua’s promoter) has put out to us for a fight in the UK,” Finkel told ESPN.

Wilder is happy to come to the UK

“Deontay has accepted his terms to fight in the UK. Deontay sent an email to Joshua (on Sunday) night and I sent one (on Monday) to Barry Hearn and Eddie telling them that we officially accept the offer to fight under the terms they gave us and to send us the contract.”

Negotiations have been ongoing since Joshua beat Joseph Parker back in March to add the WBO belt to his collection. The terms for the rematch are also reportedly agreed, with further details to be revealed in due course.

Anthony Joshua celebrates with his belts after victory over Joseph Parker. Photo Credit: The Telegraph
Anthony Joshua celebrates with his belts after victory over Joseph Parker. Photo Credit: The Telegraph

Over the last few days it had been thought the 28 year-old would meet Alexander Povetkin first in September but Wilder has now thrown down the gauntlet. Furthermore, Joshua was last seen in action back in March, when he unified his four titles with a twelve round unanimous decision over Joseph Parker at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

Wilder last fight was also back in March at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, when he recovered from being badly hurt in the seventh round to score a tenth round knockout of undefeated Cuban challenger Luis Ortiz.

What are your thoughts? Where would you like to see this fight held, The UK or The US? Let us know in the comment section.

Comments

comments