Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk are on course to crown an undisputed heavyweight world champion on December 17 in Saudi Arabia, according to a report in the Daily Mail.
Usyk defended his WBA ‘super’, WBO and IBF titles with a split decision victory over Anthony Joshua in their rematch in Jeddah on Saturday to pave the way for a clash with WBC champion, Fury, who called him out after the fight.
According to Jeff Powell of the Daily Mail, both teams are already in discussions about making an unprecedented four-belt clash, one day before the World Cup final which is taking place in nearby Qatar.
“We are very interested in the fight for the undisputed heavyweight title,” Prince Mohammad Abdulaziz, the Saudi minister for sport said.
“We are looking to do that in the city of Riyadh.”
Usyk extended his undefeated record to 20-0 and did not hesitate to call out his British rival post-fight.
“I’m sure that Tyson Fury is not retired yet,” Usyk said.
“I’m sure, I’m convinced he wants to fight me. I want to fight him and if I’m not fighting Tyson Fury, I’m not fighting at all.”
Fury has made conflicting statements regarding his future after initially announcing his retirement from the sport after stopping Dillian Whyte in the sixth round at Wembley Stadium in April.
‘The Gypsy King’ insisted he would only be tempted to return if he was guaranteed £500m, but later said he would fight Joshua for free at Wembley.
Fury announced his retirement again on his 34th birthday earlier this month, but reversed his decision after Usyk’s victory.
“I [have] just seen Joshua lose for the second time to Usyk, out of his depth.
“However, England has been relieved of its belts yet again, as usual.
“But there is a remedy and a solution that I can suggest. If you want those belts back then send in the Gypsy Barbarian of England, come on!
“Send me in. I will relieve the Ukrainian dosser of his belts like I did the last Ukrainian dosser, but it’s not going to be cheap.
“If you want the best, then you’re going to pay. It’s going to be very expensive. So get your f******* chequebook out and I will relieve that Ukrainian dosser of those belts.”
Fury’s co-promoter, Frank Warren confirmed that talks had been continuing between both parties even prior to Usyk’s win over Joshua and anticipates no issues in making the bout.
“One thing’s for sure, there’s no problem in making the fight.
“Both camps get on very well with each other, so there’s no nonsense going to be going on.
“There’s no different TV companies involved or nothing. It’s very straightforward.”