The trilogy between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder has been rescheduled for October 9th at the T-Mobile Arena, live on ESPN+ and FOX pay-per-view.
Fury and Wilder were set to meet for a third time on July 24 at the same venue, however the ‘Gypsy King’ as well as several members of his camp reportedly tested positive for COVID-19.
By the time the pair finally step into the ring, they would have been out of the ring for almost 20 months having both not fought since Fury ripped away the WBC Heavyweight title with a seventh round stoppage win at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in February 2020, after a controversial split decision draw in December 2018.
“I wanted nothing more than to smash the ‘Big Dosser’ on July 24, but I guess the beating will have to wait,” Fury said.
“Make no mistake, I will be back and better than ever. We will fight Oct. 9, and I will knock him spark out!”
Fury appeared on course for an all-British summer showdown with unified world champion, Anthony Joshua, but the proposed clash was shelved after an arbitrator ordered him in May to defend his belt against the Alabama man, as part of a contracted trilogy which the Brit and his team claimed had expired.
Wilder sacked co-trainer Mark Breland in the aftermath of his loss, after he threw in the towel in the seventh round and he has since added former opponent Malik Scott as his head trainer, whilst Jay Deas remains a part of his team.
‘The Bronze Bomber’ remained silent as the pair met for the first time since their rematch at a press conference held in Los Angeles last month, electing to wear headphones throughout before engaging in a face-off which lasted over five minutes.
“This is what we went to arbitration for,” said Shelly Finkel, the 35-year-old’s manager.
“He just wanted what was owed to him. He remains ready to reclaim his world title on Oct. 9.’’
Hall-Of-Fame Promoter Frank Warren added: “I’m glad that we could all agree a new date quickly for Tyson to defend his title.
“Tyson is a fighting man and I know how frustrated he is that he can’t compete this month. It’s such a shame to lose a fight of this magnitude to COVID.
“That said, the extra time he gets to prepare is just going to ensure he’s bigger and better than ever before – I’ve never been more certain that Tyson is going to deliver a spectacular performance and remain the number one Heavyweight on the planet!”
According to ESPN, the delay until October 9th was to give the champion time to recover, but was also caused in part due to the August 21st FOX pay-per-view between Manny Pacquiao and Errol Spence Jr, as well as a potential Mexican Independence day date for Canelo Alvarez.
Furthermore, travel restrictions are likely to be eased further for UK fans looking to travel to the USA.
Sources: Tyson Fury was PCR-tested for COVID on July 5 and received the positive result the following day. He had the first vaccine shot (but not the second) and experienced mild symptoms. He tested negative this past Tuesday and was cleared by doctors for travel shortly after https://t.co/BcpDlHvGv7
— Mike Coppinger (@MikeCoppinger) July 15, 2021
According to Fury’s co-promoter Bob Arum, the 32-year-old was given one vaccination dose whilst in Miami, but declined a second dose through risk of getting ill before the trilogy.
“He got vaccinated in Miami. He got the first shot,” Arum told BoxingScene.com on Tuesday.
A source close to the @Tyson_Fury camp tells me: “Tyson is currently asymptomatic (of COVID) and he has been cleared to travel back to the U.K.” Departure date unknown.
— Lance Pugmire (@pugboxing) July 15, 2021
“And then he said he didn’t wanna get the second shot because he didn’t wanna get sick [from the vaccination] so close to the fight. So, he got COVID instead.”
Fury, who had been preparing with coach SugarHill Steward in Las Vegas has been given the all clear to return home, although an exact departure date is unknown, according to The Athletic’s Lance Pugmire.