Ryan Garcia’s WBC interim lightweight world title clash with Luke Campbell has been rescheduled to January 2 on DAZN.
Garcia (20-0, 17 KOs) and Campbell (20-3, 16 KOs) were set to meet on December 5 in Indio, however Campbell contracted COVID-19, forcing a postponement.
A venue for the showdown is still to be confirmed and the winner of the fight will become mandatory challenger to Devin Haney’s WBC world title, which he defended with a comfortable points win over Yuriorkis Gamboa on November 7.
Undefeated Golden Boy Promotions prospect, Garcia makes his first major step-up in class against Campbell, a former two-time world title challenger.
The Brit went the distance in defeat to Jorge Linares by split decision and to Vasiliy Lomachenko by unanimous decision in his two previous attempts at world glory, with the latter his last fight in August 2019.
Campbell previously told proboxing-fans.com of his intentions when he locks horns with the Californian.
“What’s in my head is to go in there and beat him up,” Campbell said.
“Hurt him, stop him, school him, whatever it takes that’s what’s in my head.”
Garcia, 21, blew away Francisco Fonseca in one round in his last fight, to defend his WBC Silver title in February 2019.
Garcia is the number four ranked contender by the WBC and rated as number one challenger to unified world champion, Teofimo Lopez’s WBO strap.
Campbell is ranked number three in the pursuit of his Matchroom Boxing stablemate, Haney, whilst Lomachenko and Javier Fortuna occupy the first and second spots respectively.
Lopez is the division’s WBC Franchise champion, following his unanimous decision win over Lomachenko on October 17.