Dillian Whyte will face Alexander Povetkin in an immediate rematch on November 21st, whilst Joshua Buatsi will kick off Matchroom Boxing’s packed autumn schedule.
Whyte was knocked out cold in the fifth round against Povetkin in a dramatic conclusion to last month’s Fight Camp, when seemingly on the verge of victory, following two knockdowns in round four.
Whyte, 32, saw his immediate world title hopes dashed, with Povetkin replacing him as mandatory challenger to Tyson Fury, although Whyte has the opportunity for revenge, with Wembley Arena and the Royal Albert Hall reportedly in play, dependant on whether crowds are permitted in line with government regulations over COVID-19.
And ‘The Body Snatcher’ has promised to rectify the result with an emphatic knockout victory, 13 weeks after his stunning loss.
“I’m over the moon to have the rematch,” Whyte said.
“As soon as I got out of the ring, I was looking for confirmation that the fight would be on.
“I can’t wait to get back in the ring and get back what is rightfully mine.
“I’m looking to do what I said I would the first time and that’s beat Alexander Povetkin.
“There won’t be any major adjustments, but I just need to be more switched on and not get distracted.
“He was able to use his experience against me. I will be a lot more focused and sharper in the rematch.
“I’m coming to win and knock him out. I’m coming to even the score and the only way to do that is by knocking him out.”
Former world champion, Povetkin was given a hero’s welcome back in Russia following the bout and the 41-year-old insists he will prepare diligently to ensure he repeats the feat in the second fight.
“I’ve rested well, spent time with my family, and now that the date of the rematch is known, I will soon return to my training camp and prepare as thoroughly as I did for the first fight,” Povetkin said.
“As I said before the first fight and after it too, Dillian Whyte is a good, strong boxer. I will be ready to enter the ring on November 21.
“I hope it will be another beautiful fight for the fans.”
Light-Heavyweight contender, Joshua Buatsi will open Matchroom’s autumn schedule, defending his WBA International title against unbeaten Croat Marko Calico on October 4th, with a venue to be confirmed.
On the undercard, Chantelle Cameron challenges for the vacant WBC Super-Lightweight belt against unbeaten Brazilian, Adriana Dos Santos Araujo, whilst the English Middleweight crown is on the line between Linus Udofia and John Harding Jr.
For people asking about tickets/venues..we are pushing as hard as we can with the Government for fans to return safely as early as the @boxingbuatsi card on October 4th. We will have further news this week but all our schedule will go ahead regardless.
— Eddie Hearn (@EddieHearn) September 15, 2020
Lewis Ritson will finally face Miguel Vazquez in a rescheduled clash for the vacant WBA Intercontinental Super-Lightweight title at the Newcastle Arena on October 17th.
Elsewhere on the card, Savannah Marshall, who was set to challenge for the vacant WBO Light-Heavyweight title on the original April 4th bill will instead face former IBO Super-Welterweight titlist Hannah Rankin for the vacant WBO 160lbs crown.
Sunday 4th October
Joshua Buatsi vs Marko Calic
Chantelle Cameron vs Adriana Do Santos Araujo
Linus Udofia vs John Harding Jr
Aqib Fiaz vs Kane Baker
Alen Babic vs Niall Kennedy
John Hedges (debut)
Saturday 17th October
Lewis Ritson vs Miguel Vazquez
Savannah Marshall vs Hannah Rankin
Thomas Patrick Ward vs TBA
Ukashir Farooq vs TBA
Joe Laws vs TBA
Qais Ashfaq vs TBA
Saturday 21st November
Alexander Povetkin vs Dillian Whyte
Undercard details TBA