Super middleweight contender Donovan “Da Bomb” George will not be fighting tonight, March 7 in Chicago as was previously announced by his co-promoters, Chicago’s Hitz Boxing and Round 3 Productions.
George was to have made his highly anticipated return to battle in the main event at the Horseshoe Casino presented Fight Night at The Belvedere in Elk Grove Village, however the action-packed card will still take place.
“It’s very frustrating that we were unable to find a suitable opponent for Donovan to fight on Friday night” said Bobby Hitz, President of Hitz Boxing. “We had five different boxers lined up each of whom would have provided for an exciting, fan friendly bout but unfortunately the Illinois State Athletic Commission refused to allow any of them to face Donovan, thereby robbing the fans of seeing a terrific fight.”
Added Hitz, “The commission’s actions seem to be arbitrary in this case and were not fully articulated to me this week. In my 25 years of promoting in Chicago this has truly been one of the most trying periods in putting a fight together.”
George will return to action in the Chicago area on Friday, April 18 at the next Hitz Boxing/Round 3 Productions event at the Horseshoe Casino in Hammond, Indiana.
“Donovan is the most popular fighter in Chicago and while this has been a tough week for him we’re confident that he will return to the ring in fine form on April 18 and ready to put on a spectacular performance” said Frank Mugnolo of Round 3 Productions.