Anthony Joshua has reportedly joined forces with world renowned trainer Derrick James, after leaving Robert Garcia.
Joshua was spotted training in James’ Texas gym last year before he opted for Garcia to lead his corner alongside Angel Fernandez for his eventual rematch defeat to Oleksandr Usyk in Saudi Arabia in August.
The former two-time heavyweight world champion was pictured back alongside James last month and according to No Smoke Boxing, ‘AJ’ has hired the 2017 Ring Magazine trainer of the year.
James, 50, is also the head coach of unified welterweight titlist, Errol Spence Jr, undisputed super welterweight champion, Jermell Charlo and rising lightweight contender, Frank Martin.
Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn confirmed on Monday that the 33-year-old is set to begin his training camp in America next week, but was coy on who the exact trainer would be.
“I know who the new trainer is,” Hearn told the DAZN Boxing Show.
“It’s quite a personal thing really and I always like AJ to come out and announce that with his team.
“I speak a lot, because I do a lot of interviews, but I’ll speak on his fights.
“He is going to train in America and he’ll start that camp in the next week, he’ll be flying out to commence.
“So you guys will get the news soon and I think it’s a great link-up.”
— Pro Boxing Fans (@ProBoxingFans) January 9, 2023
It remains unclear whether Fernandez will remain apart of Joshua’s team in America.
Joshua, who is coming off back-to-back losses to Usyk has a targeted return date of April 1 in London, according to Hearn.
Unbeaten Australian heavyweight, Demsey McKean is reportedly in line to face the Brit, although Hearn insists that no opponent has been chosen.
The Matchroom boss recently laid out a three-fight plan for Joshua this year including a summer rematch with Dillian Whyte and an autumn showdown with either Deontay Wilder or Tyson Fury.
“The plan now is to rebuild him into the heavyweight world champion, to become a three-time world heavyweight champion and the trainer will want to take the appropriate steps to do that,” he told the DAZN Boxing Show.
“It’s all very well being brave and listening to Twitter and going out there and fighting Deontay Wilder and doing this and doing that, but there has to be a plan.
“There has to be a smart plan and the smart plan is he wants to return against a top 15 guy, a credible fight, then move forward in the summer with probably Dillian Whyte and then move forward against I guess Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury, into a mega fight in the autumn of 2023.”