Home News Results: Yorgenis Ugas continues nabbing big wins, upsets Bryant Perrella

Results: Yorgenis Ugas continues nabbing big wins, upsets Bryant Perrella

Credit: Jane Phillips / PBC

Cuba’s Yordenis Ugas (17-3, 8 KOs) defeated his second straight unbeaten welterweight Tuesday night as he stopped Bryant Perrella (14-1, 13 KOs) in the fourth round on Premier Boxing Champions TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS on FS1 and BOXEO DE CAMPEONES on FOX Deportesin the main event from Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Ugas defeated previously unbeaten Jamal James in August and dedicated this fight to his friend and fellow Cuban, Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, who tragically passed away Sunday morning in Miami. Ugas was spectacular from the outset as his first overhand right of the night connected with Perrella and sent him to the canvas.

“The right hand was there early and all night long,” said Ugas. “I was able to land it from the beginning. Then I went to the body. Before I left my corner to start the fight, I said a prayer for Jose, and for sure that was my motivation. I felt his spirit throughout the fight.”

The taller Perrella attempted to control the fight with his jab and looked to land big left hands from the southpaw stance. Ugas was patient throughout the fight and kept his defense tight, never allowing Perrella to break through.

At the end of the third round Ugas landed another big right hand that pushed Perrella into the ropes and forced him into survival mode until the round ended. Perrella tried to get his attack going in the fourth round but Ugas was patiently waiting to deliver powerful counters with the right hand.

Another punishing right hand in the middle of the round sent Perrella hard to the mat and clearly dazed when he rose to his feet. Ugas sensed his moment and attacked Perrella, eventually stalking him into the corner. A final flurry from Ugas forced referee Rocky Burke to halt the bout 2:20 into the round.

“This shows that I’ve put all my losses behind me,” said Ugas. “It doesn’t matter who I fight next. I’m ready for anyone in the division.”

The co-main event saw Ryan “Cowboy” Karl (13-0, 9 KOs) earn a stoppage victory over Jose Quezada (11-1, 6 KOs) after four rounds of action in the super lightweight showdown. The fight was stopped by the ringside doctor after the end of the fourth round.

Karl established his power advantage early on as the two fighters went toe-to-toe but it was Karl who knocked Quezada to the canvas with a stunning right uppercut and a straight right hand that sent his opponent tumbling to the canvas.

Quezada looked to box against Karl and had his best moments in the third round when he began to land his left hook and throw more combinations. Despite taking a few good shots, Karl came out determined in round four and began landing his right hand at will.

The last minute of the round saw the Houston-based fighter landed a series of right hands that eventually began to swell the left eye of Quezada and sent him to the floor for the second time in the fight as the round ended. Quezada was able to get to his feet and return to his corner, but the ringside doctor had seen enough and called a halt to the bout.

The opening televised bout saw Phoenix’s Cesar Alan Valenzuela (13-4-1, 4 KOs) earn a split decision over previously once-beaten Dennis Galarza (13-2, 8 KOs) in their eight round super featherweight attraction.

From the opening bell both men were determined to establish their offense and they both had bright moments in the round. Galarza landed several right hands early but as the fight wore on, Valenzuela got into his offense and was able to keep Galarza going backwards.

Valenzuela also appeared to be the fresher fighter in the later rounds and he ended the bout with a 398-345 advantage in punches thrown and 136-93 in punches landed.

Valenzuela’s strongest round came in the final frame when he stunned Galarza with just over a minute left in the round, forcing his opponent to hold on to survive the eight-rounder. The final judges scores were 77-75 for Galarza and 77-75 twice for Valenzuela.