Here’s a current breakdown of the best welterweights in the world. It’s one of the classic boxing divisions, and it’s also one of the most crowded today. A lot of the top fighters have met each other, but there are more great fights that need to be made. In the meantime, here are the top 10 boxers in the welterweight division today.
Welterweight division rankings (147 lbs.) last updated December 2013
- Welterweight Division Champion: Floyd Mayweather
Floyd Mayweather turned back the challenge of Robert Guerrero with ease, and then he put on a master performance against Saul Canelo Alvarez. He's continuing to alternate between divisions, and dominating at each stop along the way. It looks like he may be continuing the trend with another fight at welterweight next, so he has to stay ranked as the top dog here.
Top 10 Welterweight Contenders
- Timothy Bradley - Timothy Bradley repositioned himself as one of the division's best with his tough and hard-fought win over Juan Manuel Marquez. He has to be ranked as the number 2 man in the division as a result, with Pacquiao having been the victim of that devastating KO loss to Marquez.
- Juan Manuel Marquez - Marquez finally has his victory over Manny Pacquiao, and what a victory it was! One punch turned the lights out and left Pacquiao face down on the canvas for minutes. He came up short against Bradley, and certainly wasn't happy with the verdict, but he's still in a position to land any fight he chooses - a rematch with Bradley? A 5th fight against Pacquiao?
- Manny Pacquiao - Considering that 99% of the boxing world seems to agree that Pacquiao defeated Timothy Bradley, Pacquiao can't exactly get tossed out of the rankings entirely. The knockout loss to Marquez was obviously brutal and it damaged his standing immensely, but he looked pretty solid against Brandon Rios in his comeback fight, cruising past him and shutting him out over 12 rounds.
- Marcos Maidana -Maidana became a lot of people's favorite boxer when he smashed Adrien Broner, handing the Problem his first career defeat. With a title strap around his waist and a growing legion of fans, Maidana is in good position now to land some very big, very exciting, fights for 2014.
- Shawn Porter - Shawn Porter has had his share of detractors, but he fought the fight of his life thus far against Devon Alexander, using a combination of skill and grit to grab a world title. Finally with a breakout win on a big stage, you'll be seeing plenty from Porter in the near future. Maybe he squares off against fellow new titleholder and Golden Boy stablemate Maidana.
- Keith Thurman - Thurman rose to prominence while taking on absolutely nobody of note. Finally stepped in there with a live dog when he met, and trounced, Jesus Soto-Karass. Can't argue with that "One Time" power. Joins the fray of a very deep and exciting division right now.
- Kell Brook - Brook is one of the hottest names in the British and UK boxing scene. He's still undefeated, and has a great combination of size, skill, speed and power. He's also looking to come to the states to start turning things up a notch, but isn't that past due already? After fights with Devon Alexander were planned and cancelled on multiple occasions, he took on, and took out, Vyacheslav Senchenko, and can finally move on with a somewhat noteworthy win under his belt.
- Adrien Broner - Broner had to survive a tough fight against Paulie Malignaggi, and then, well, we all know what happened to him against Marcos Maidana. Besides being absolutely classless, major, ahem, Problems, were exposed in his game. Needs to grow up and bounce back.
- Devon Alexander - After so many big fight delays, cancellations and who knows what else, Alexander took a fight against Shawn Porter which was supposed to help him bide his time until somebody, anybody, came calling. Didn't work out that way, of course. Now Alexander the Great will likely have an even harder time finding a big name dance partner.
More Names to Watch
Robert Guerrero, Amir Khan, Andre Berto, Paulie Malignaggi, Brandon Rios, Jesus Soto-Karass, Josesito Lopez, Victor Ortiz, Selcuk Aydin, Kevin Bizier, Jessie Vargas, Vyacheslav Senchenko, Mike Jones, Jan Zaveck, Joshua Clottey, Luis Carlos Abregu, Carson Jones, Rafal Jackiewicz, Said Ouali, Jackson Osei Bonsu, Jo Jo Dan, Brad Solomon