Here’s a current breakdown of the best welterweights in the world. It’s one of the classic boxing divisions, and it’s also one of the most crowded today. A lot of the top fighters have met each other, but there are more great fights that need to be made. In the meantime, here are the top 10 boxers in the welterweight division today.
Welterweight division rankings last updated November 2013
- Floyd Mayweather – Floyd Mayweather turned back the challenge of Robert Guerrero with ease, and then he put on a master performance against Saul Canelo Alvarez. He's continuing to alternate between divisions, and dominating at each stop along the way. It looks like he may be continuing the trend with another fight at welterweight next, so he has to stay ranked as the top dog here.
- Timothy Bradley - Timothy Bradley repositioned himself as one of the division's best with his tough and hard-fought win over Juan Manuel Marquez. He has to be ranked as the number 2 man in the division as a result, with Pacquiao having been the victim of that devastating KO loss to Marquez.
- Juan Manuel Marquez - Marquez finally has his victory over Manny Pacquiao, and what a victory it was! One punch turned the lights out and left Pacquiao face down on the canvas for minutes. He came up short against Bradley, and certainly wasn't happy with the verdict, but he's still in a position to land any fight he chooses - a rematch with Bradley? A 5th fight against Pacquiao?
- Manny Pacquiao - Considering that 99% of the boxing world seems to agree that Pacquiao defeated Timothy Bradley, Pacquiao can't exactly get tossed out of the rankings entirely. The knockout loss to Marquez was obviously brutal and it damaged his standing immensely, but he looked pretty solid against Brandon Rios in his comeback fight, cruising past him and shutting him out over 12 rounds.
- Adrien Broner - Broner makes his debut into the top 10 of the welterweight division, and squeezes his way into the top 5 at the same time. He won a close fight against Paulie Malignaggi, and now he gets to take on the tough slugger Marcos Maidana in what has become a bit of a grudge match between those two fighters.
- Devon Alexander - Alexander is now a two-division titleholder following his dominant win over Randall Bailey. Was slated to defend that new title against Kell Brook, in a fight with major implications for the division and the careers of each man, but the fight got postponed. Twice. Stayed busy by fighting Lee Purdy. Then he was supposed to face Amir Khan. That got scuttled too, and now he faces Shawn Porter next.
- Marcos Maidana -Maidana earns himself a place in the top 10 of the division by taking care of Josesito Lopez in a thrilling encounter in June. Now, he's in position for more A-list opponents, and he gets his wish by starting with Adrien Broner next.
- Robert Guerrero - Guerrero falls down the rankings a bit with his loss to Floyd Mayweather, but there's certainly no shame in that defeat. And he continued trying and being aggressive all night, he was just outclassed, as most are against that guy. The wins over Andre Berto and Selcuk Aydin keep him firmly implanted in the top 10, however.
- Keith Thurman - Thurman has risen to prominence while taking on absolutely nobody of note. When your best win is against Diego Chaves, that's not a good thing. Nevertheless, you have to respect his power and that arsenal. Takes on the always tough Jesus Soto-Karass next.
- Kell Brook - Brook is one of the hottest names in the British and UK boxing scene. He's still undefeated, and has a great combination of size, skill, speed and power. He's also looking to come to the states to start turning things up a notch, but isn't that past due already? Fights against Devon Alexander have been planned and cancelled on multiple occasions. Takes on Vyacheslav Senchenko next.
More Names to Watch
Amir Khan, Andre Berto, Paulie Malignaggi, Brandon Rios, Jesus Soto-Karass, Josesito Lopez, Victor Ortiz, Selcuk Aydin, Kevin Bizier, Jessie Vargas, Vyacheslav Senchenko, Mike Jones, Jan Zaveck, Joshua Clottey, Luis Carlos Abregu, Carson Jones, Rafal Jackiewicz, Said Ouali, Jackson Osei Bonsu, Jo Jo Dan, Brad Solomon
More Boxing Weight Division Rankings: