Tommy Fury has reportedly been offered a mega payday to finally face Jake Paul, with the American urging his rival to face him next month in the UK.
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren confirmed to IFLTV last week that talks were continuing with Paul’s team and the fight was ‘close’ to being finalised, after two previous cancellations in December 2021 and August 2022 respectively.
Paul, who on Thursday announced that he had signed with the Professional Fighters League [PFL], released a video via his promotional company Most Valuable Promotions stating that both Fury and former UFC star, Mike Perry were in the running to be his next opponent.
“Mike Perry, it might be your lucky year, because Tommy is running again.
“If the fans only knew how much money I was offering Tommy and he’s still ducking me.
“It’s pretty sad.”
Combat Sports analyst and DAZN commentator, Wade Plemons, quote tweeted Most Valuable Promotions’ tweet, saying: “So.. I spoke to a source with DIRECT knowledge on the @jakepaul vs @tommytntfury fight talks this morning and they CONFIRMED that Tommy has now been offered 2.5 MILLION DOLLARS to fight Jake.. 500,000$ more than the first offer.”
Paul replied to the tweet, saying: “I cannot confirm nor deny this accurate statement. What I can confirm is Tommy Fury is never going to see the kind of money he is being offered to step in the ring with me. And yet he’s still on the run. #Boxer.”
All that dancing Tommy and Papa Johns did in Dubai…and to this day they continue dance.
I will come to your land, to your backyard, to your house. But of course you won’t be home. Son and pappy are all show but no shows. https://t.co/QwbGLY2Pf0
— Jake Paul (@jakepaul) January 6, 2023
A member of Tommy Fury’s team was contacted for comment by proboxing-fans.com but did not respond when this article went to publish.
‘The Problem Child’ was on commentary during his rival’s exhibition in Dubai in November, before he was confronted by both Tommy and his father John Fury at ringside.
Fury, who boasts an unbeaten 8-0 professional record was meant to face Paul Bamba, however the American pulled out after a dispute over Fury apparently weighing in over the agreed limit.
The 25-year-old is unbeaten in six professional fights, dropping former UFC star, Anderson Silva on route to a unanimous decision win in October.
Paul says he is now willing to face the former Love Island star on February 18 in his hometown of Manchester.
“I have done everything in my power to make the fight happen against this 8-0 boxer, including offering to go to Manchester for February 18 in partnership with Frank and George Warren,” Paul told Mirror Fighting.
“I’m looking at any other alternative to make this fight work.”